Located on State 84, a little bit east and north of the city of Pine River, you'll find the Barclay Town Hall and Rest area.
Read Paul Bunyan's story about the Township's namesake, Timothy. Or as Paul tells it... Timothy Burr. The panel is located at the Ideal Township Fire Station #2 on the south side of CSAH 1, just west of Timothy Town Hall at Taray Road. A picnic table and tall pine tree welcome visitors with a shady place to stop for a rest along their Byway travels.
Built in 1929 using ‘Spanish Mission’ architecture, this building features the original white stucco exterior with extensive native cedar log trim. Throughout its history,
In 1924 the land was purchased and in 1926 the Oscawana Resort was built. Over the years Oscawana was divided into several small resorts and private homes. Birch Hill Inne is the original carriage house
This beautiful 258 acre lake was once the summer playground of actor brothers, Peter Graves and James Arness. They spent their childhood vacations in a small cabin on the island that can be seen as one travels down CSAH 66. Some time was also spent at Oscawana Resort, which was on the west shore of Ox Lake near Birch Hill Inne.
Opened in the early 1930’s, the original Moonlite Bay was a much larger building which featured fine dining, two bars, big bands and dancing. In the 1960’s, in line with the times, this hot night spot featured go-go dancers on the bar! It ‘s been rumored that big city gangsters, on a holiday in the area, would often visit Moonlite Bay.
The Northern Pacific Railroad carried logs from points north down what has become known as ‘the Old Grade Road’ and over parts of CSAH 66. The area from CSAH 16 to the Crosslake City Hall was the dumping ground for the logs. Later they were rolled into Crosslake to be floated down the Pine River to the Mississippi.
Located on the east side of CSAH 3 and showcasing the surroundings of the Lakes Area’s first residents, these buildings include: 1) The Ideal Schoolhouse, erected in 1897 on the site of the present day Ideal Fire Station and Community Center. 2) The First Crosslake Town Hall, built in 1923.
Originally called The Crosslake Store, this structure was the town’s first grocery store and a well-known landmark. It is one of Crosslake’s oldest standing buildings, and although it has undergone many changes, parts of the original store have been incorporated into the present structure.