When John Knebel moved to the area for health reasons in the early 1900’s, he found this an “Ideal” place to live, and thus the township was named. The “corner” has been a popular stopping off place for residents and travelers since the first store was built shortly after Ideal became a township in 1899. The Knebels have been closely tied to the township throughout its history. Ben was the first township clerk. Later, brothers Ben and Jack delivered mail to township residents; Ben, on the boat that made its rounds via the Whitefish Chain, starting at Camp Bertha, a resort which he owned, and Jack delivered by land.