Linda Ulland Memorial Scholarship recipient-2017, Morena Hammer, PLHS
Pequot Lakes High School senior, Morena Hammer, is the 2017 recipient of the Linda Ulland Memorial Scholarship of $1000.00.
Scholarship applications are reviewed by a committee of Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association (PBSBA) members. Applicants must be able to show a developing or demonstrated commitment to environmental issues, evidence of active participation in areas of community service or volunteerism and be a graduate of a school located in a Byway route community pursuing a degree in environmental issues, community service or volunteerism. The recipient is selected based on the following criteria:
- Graduating senior or previous graduate of PLHS or PR-Backus HS
- Accepted to attend or currently attending an accredited educational institution that provides a degree or other verification of completed studies
- Provide a transcript of grades
- Application form must be complete
- Applicant must provide a photo of himself/herself at any one of the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway route signs
With strong interests in environmental science and a well-thought out statement on the value of volunteerism, reviewers stated, “Morena is an outstanding candidate.” Her plans to work part time at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and to volunteer at many area events while attending college at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, contributed significantly to the strength of her application.
Morena joins a list of remarkable students who have received the Linda Ulland Memorial Scholarship over the years. The PBSBA congratulates her and looks forward to staying in touch with her as she continues her education at UMD.