Projects in Progress
- The Interpretive Center partnership planning with the US Army Corps of Engineers in Crosslake is moving along smoothly. Meetings will continue over the summer with realistic hopes of a finalized contract by fall, 2003.
- Information is being gathered on Paul Bunyan memorabilia and lesser known Paul Bunyan stories for inclusion in a potential future display.
- The footbridge over Hay Creek, connecting the south and north segments of the Veterans Hiking Trail, is currently being constructed by Crow Wing County engineers and will be installed and ready for use by the end of June, 2003.
- A grant request to the University of Minnesota’s Central Region Partnership was submitted on April 18, 2003. The request was for up to $15,000 in funding to design and conduct a market survey of Byway users. The survey will also seek information regarding desired Byway facilities such as bathrooms, drinking fountains, pull-off parking areas, etc.
- Designs are being considered for a traveling exhibit highlighting the development of the Byway and its many projects. Unique partnerships are being sought for this exhibit. Preliminary conversations have taken place with TDS Telecom.
- Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Fund-Raising Raffle runs until Sept. 13, with the final drawing at the Pequot Lakes Legion. Prizes include a Ford SUV, Ford F-150, Crestliner boat, motor and trailer, over 125 cash prizes totaling more than $7500. Total prize value of nearly $50,000. Tickets only $20/each. Watch for more information in a separate mailing.
Tuesday, September 23, 2003
Inkslinger, Volume 4 Issue 1 - Spring 2003