Projects and Partners Along the Byway
The Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association has been managing the organization and its projects along the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway's fifty four miles for more than ten years. Throughout those years, many area businesses, organizations and individuals have been working and/or funding partners.
Thanks to those partners, the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway (PBSB) has been able to robustly pursue its mission to enhance, preserve and promote the recreational, natural, historical and cultural amenities and resources along and around this driving route.
Area residents and visitors may be surprised to learn that over the past ten years, nearly fifty PBSB projects have been completed or are currently in progress. In addition to projects, partners and members have also supported regular organizational operations as well as the development of a Corridor Management Plan and an Interpretive Plan. Below are a few of the projects that partners have helped the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association bring to the area communities:
* Veterans Walking Trail at Island Lake Woods
- Wetlands Walk at Veterans Trail
- Footbridge over Hay Creek at Veterans Trail
- Northside Loop at Veterans Trail
Major partners: DNR, Dave/Mary Badger, Crow Wing County Highway Dept.
* Fourteen information kiosks along the 54 miles of the Byway route
- Including DNR Fire Tower site and Lowell Wildlife Management Area site
Major partners: Crow Wing County, MN Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund, Lakes State Bank, JM Plein Consulting, Ideal Township, Whitefish Area Lodging Association, Pine River Chamber of Commerce, Pequot Lakes Chamber of Commerce, Black Pine Beach Resort, Pequot Lakes Physical Therapy Services, KLKS Radio, Bruce/Marj Bundgaard
* Podcast featuring seven local voices bringing the story of our area to the world through national exposure on America's Byways website
Major partners: KLKS Radio, Dave Skyberg, with project inception support from Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce
* Paul Bunyan Footprints (project in progress)
Major partners: Grand Casino Mille Lacs, City of Pequot Lakes, City of Crosslake, City of Breezy Point, City of Pine River, City of Jenkins, Ideal Township, Barclay Township
* Paul Bunyan Exhibit Area at Crosslake's Corps of Engineers Campground Administrative Building
Major partners: US Army Corps of Engineers, Wayne Chamberlain, Lakes Area Gallery and Frame Shoppe
* PBSB website with interactive tall tales section
Major partner: JM Plein Consulting
* Live theater performances glimpsing historic area mailcarrier, Ben Knebel
Major partners: Federal Highway Administration Nt'l Scenic Byways Program, Rice Lake Resources, Crow Wing County
* Gateway Gazebo at the CSAH 16/Hwy. 371 intersection
Major partner: DNR, Area Resorters, Cedar Creek Lumber
* Chiarella Walking Trail in Breezy Point
Major partner: DNR, Minnesota Conservation Corp
* Three sets of novelty playing cards featuring people, places and lore
Major partners: Grand Casino Mille Lacs, Whitefish Area Lodging Association
* Free tear-off maps of the Byway and the area
Major partners: JM Plein Consulting, printing supported by advertisers
* Free Birds of the Byway brochure
Major partners: Original printing- Explore MN Tourism, Whitefish Area Lodging Association, MN DNR Non-game Wildlife Program, Bee Nay She Bird Club; Reprint- MN DNR Non-game Wildlife Program, JM Plein Consulting, Jean Segerstrom
The Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association is proud to work hand-in-hand with all of these and many other partners, sponsors, donors and members to continue championing the Byway area through projects, events and activities that support and enhance the quality of life for all of us who live and work here, as well as supporting the economic vitality that comes from encouraging visitors to lodge, shop and dine in the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway area.