What to do & see along the Paul Bunyan Byway
Car drives are especially fun when there are destinations along the way. Here in the Whitefish Lake country, there's one thing residents and visitors agree on, winter or summer - any time is a great time for recreation along the Paul Bunyan National Scenic Byway.
Like the intricacies of a good Paul Bunyan tale, Minnesota's Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway weaves together the recreation, logging, resort, geology, early settlers and Native American stories of a well traveled past. Tour in your cars, pedal your bikes, or just put on some good walking shoes. Here's your invite to the lakes and lands that helped give life to the Great Northwoods legend of Paul Bunyan. Recreation comes naturally along Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway.
The legends and tall tales will tickle your funny bone and challenge your imagination. Glistening lakes and lush forests, still home to nature's wildlife and loaded with history, will spark your own desire to Explore the Lore. And the scenic landscapes reveal stories of geologic formations, and offer glimpses of the ever changing small town and rural cultures.
We invite you to enjoy:
- Breathtaking scenic beauty
- Natural resource viewing sites like the horny head (aka redtail chub) minnow stream and a fish stripping station
- Wildlife Management Areas and Forest Management Areas
- Bikeways and walking trails
- Historic sites and one great fire tower
- Golf - Paul Bunyan and mini sized
- Shops of distinction and antiques saved from extinction
- Lodging for 1 night, several nights, even a week or more
- Dining choices from quick bites to culinary experiences
- Lakes and streams - boating, fishing, and swimming
- Forested and reforested sites
- Lots of Paul Bunyan sized memories and memorabilia
- Even Tall Tales for the taking (and we encourage your own making)